The poetry unit has been very helpful to me. I've grown to understand the poetry terms that I had previously heard of, but never understood. Things such as sound devices, and figures of speech.
Before, poetry to me was just a story or flowing words, but now I understand that there is so much more to it than that. Poetry isn't just random words strung together made to sound nice. There are things the authors have to take into consideration such a where to place that internal rhyme, or weather or not they want that alliteration. Do they want the poem to be told in euphony or in cacophony? All these new poetry terms that have been introduced to me, and have helped me to further understand and appreciate poetry on a whole new level. It has also added a few new words to my vocabulary!
I completely agree with what you are saying about the use of figurative language and sound devices. Before this poetry unit, I didn't realize how much thought really goes into poetry. I didn't realize that it wasn't random words the author used just because. Each word has a specific meaning and a specific part in the way a poem turns out and sounds to the reader. I didn't realize it before, but analyzing poetry has gotten a little easier since this poetry unit begun.
ReplyDeleteI have to disagree with your statement about the poetry unit being a good thing to learn about. Don't get me wrong, it has helped me learn the figurative language terms and the sound devices but i like to read a poem and not have to think about that. I want to read a poem and appreciate it for the meaning not have to worry about who the speaker is or what the tone is. I do agree that this unit has widened my vocabulary but I would rather just take a poem for what it is and not have to analyze it so much.
ReplyDelete