Thursday, October 4, 2012

Gatsby Question

Do you think that Gatsby continues to love Daisy throughout the rest of the book? Or is has his love for her left, and been replaced by infatuation?

6 comments:

  1. Gatsby has loved Daisy for 5 years. I find that to be a long time considering she is married to someone else. He's loved her for so long, it doesn't seem logical that he would all of a sudden stop. I believe that he'll love her forever, some people are like that, they only love once in a life time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great question Rachael, I believe that Gatsby is in love with the image of daisy he has in his head. A lot of things can change in five years and daisy could be a completely different person than she was when he left for the war. I is idealizing her in is mind. He has painted a perfect picture of her in his head and he is in love with that but she might not be able to meet his high standards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Five years is a long time, and as 'Crazy Cat Lady' said, Daisy could be a totally different person by now. I think Gatsby is slowly realizing that Daisy is no longer who he has remembered her to be. She has married Tom, and had a child with him, and these are big mile-stones in life. Gatsby has missed out on these opprotunities with Daisy, and now, I think he is realizing that he never will get the chance to achieve those mile-stones with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that in the beginning of the book when Gatsby first saw Daisy he thought he still loved her. Then throughout the book he noticed that Daisy wasn't the same person. He saw that she had a child with Tom and that was a big surprise to him. So I believe that the love was replaced with infatuation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you guys. Gatsby was in love with Daisy a long time ago. He probably dreamed about who she would be, and that she would be perfect in every way. The only thing in her that seemed to be better than his dream of her was her voice. It is like when you dream of going somewhere, like an amusement park, when you get there, it doesn't always seem as amazing as you always dreamed it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree as well with last few posts above. By this point, Gatsby has realized how much he has missed out on with Daisy, such as not being able to get married and have a child with her. I think there's some small part of him that still believes that this could happen, which would by why Gatsby tells Daisy to tell Tom she never loved him, and why he didn't discourage her kissing him and telling him she loved him, because he still loved her.

    ReplyDelete